Wednesday 9 June 2021

Simple meals- version 1. Jacket potato salad

 Following on from my post the other day I thought I would share some of our simple meals that we have. They are low cost, low effort so perfect on busy days, or indeed if like the South of England at the moment you are in the middle of the summer week!who knows when the sun will go again so I send as much time as possible out enjoying it!


Jacket potato and salad with home made coleslaw. 
I love this meal as so low effort. I cook potatoes in microwave for around 7 minutes depending on their size, then it o the oven to crisp for 20 mins. 
The coleslaw is home made, it contains red cabbage, white cabbage, red onion and carrot. All grated. Then mixed with some mayonnaise, white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. Most of what is in this plate is from the reduced section of the supermarket, the vegetables last way longer than the supermarkets say. 
Costings for this obviously depend on how much you pay for the veggies but guesstimate this at 
Potato 10p (from a bag costing 50p)
1 carrot 2p (1kg bag reduced to 23p so prob even less!) 
Salad leaves 20p, cheaper soon when out of my garden! 
Tomatoes 1/4 bag that costs 55p so say 15p
Cucumber a few slices from a 50p cucumber say 5p worth maybe 
Olives from a jar I don't remember cost but from aldi so not a lot! 
The cheese is around £2 a bag, it's free from due to my intolerance so the most expensive part prob around 40p worth on my plate. 

So this meal comes in at around £1. It's very filling and so full of yummy goodness. 

I'll share another tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment