Sunday 24 June 2012

In the garden/ on the allotment this weekend

This weekend I have been playing catch up with all the plants that have been attacked  and decimated by slugs- essentially everything I have planted so far this year has been munched so much that it no longer exists. I have had to start all over again.

At the allotment I have planted out some young bean and pea plants. Then at home I have planted seeds for;
little gem
rocket
pumpkins
peas
beans
cabbages (2 types)
cauliflower.



I suspect I am now not going to get the larger harvest I had hoped for at the beginning of the year but if I get some, right now I'll be pleased.

I have harvested some yummy strawberries and raspberries from both allotment and the garden.


This evening I have been reading lots about thinning your apples on the tree to allow others to grow. So this sounds like my next job on the allotment as last year our apples were plentiful but not up to much, from this evening reading I suspect that it was because they all grew very close together and touched. So I am going to thin them out this year and try this recipe with the little apples I thin. I will need to have a little think to adapt the recipe so that it has no lemon/ citrus products in it for Stephanie to be able to enjoy it to. Perhaps I'll use apple juice where the lemon juice is called for/ or water. A little experimentation is called for. I'll let you know how I get on.



No comments:

Post a Comment