Friday 17 January 2014

luck?!

My washing machine broke back in November when it was still in its 5 year guarantee. It was a fairly big replacement apparently and other problems being flagged. Since new year the machine has been making some very dodgy noises including a very loud spin cycle, knocking/ rasping sounds. This evening it is no longer spinning. Oh-oh!

I could panic about this but I don't need to. Not because I'm suddenly flushed with a massively larger income, but because I have savings!
Nothing massive but enough to cover the cost of a new machine. I also have the means to replace those savings already sat in my purse. what a stroke of luck, it couldn't have worked out better.

Several years ago I privately rented a house for me and the children. My dad had been guarantor for me on this home. It turns out after I moved out a cheque had been sent to me which I never received/knew anything about. A fortnight ago my Dad phoned me to say the letting agent had phoned him to ask if he had contact details for me, as they had found a cheque they had sent to me after I moved out was never cashed. So they sent cheque to Dad, who has forwarded it onto me. That's £197.41 I didn't have. What amazing timing! I can't believe my luck.

I have just ordered a new washing machine using some of my savings. It will go straight back as soon as the cheque clears. I have ordered my machine from appliances online. I am very impressed as I will have my machine delivered on Sunday for no extra charge- a company that can deliver around my work and for free BONUS. They were recommended to me by a friend when I said my machine is sounding ropey. Let's hope I am as impressed as my friend was. I am after a new freezer later in the year.



Oh and an added extra- I get cash back from quidco for this purchase too.

6 comments:

  1. Its so good to have a little financial safety net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it certainly is, mine is only little at the moment (well smaller now! LOL) but I aim to build on it throughout this year.

      Delete
  2. So glad you have a good result from this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that it has worked this way- I know from previous experiences of things breaking down I have been incredibly lucky this time.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy that you had the money to cover your washing machine. Ours is on its last legs too. We save money each month for such emergencies.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad as well. It has helped me see the need to build up my emergency fund andotivate me to keep going

      Delete