Sunday, 9 February 2014

Learning to sew.

Stephanie has really got interested in sewing and cooking recently. Fabulous news as they are hobbies I enjoy and we can do together.
Last week I made her book week costume, she is going to be Hermione from Harry Potter. I made the robe, but Stephanie decided she would need a satchel bag and she wanted to make it herself. Here she is making it;
We started last Sunday and finished it today. I helped Stephanie with drawing out the pattern pieces and then on how to sew them together. However she has done the bulk of the work herself.
The finished product.

The name Hermione sewn on.

Some wizarding iron on patches.

A very proud little lady with her new bag.
We didn't buy anything to make the bag, it is made completely with items from my stash. The pink fabric is left over from a dressing up outfit I made, we used an old pair of Dylan's jeans in the middle of 2 layers of the pink to add some 'stiffness' to the bag. The handle is made from an old shirt.
The patches were even stashed away. I bought them in a sale something like 50p for the lot when Stephanie was a baby. The intention was to make something with Dylan using them, but he didn't want to use them.
So a bag made by Stephanie and not a penny spent- perfect project!!


  1. That looks really good! Well done Stephanie :)

    1. Thank you, she has friends who have asked for one for their birthday presents!